Diabetes is a long term disease that has been associated with high levels of sugar in the body. This disease occurs when the body cells do not respond appropriately to insulin or you have inadequate insulin in your body.
There are symptoms that you may experience associated with diabetes and vary from different individuals. According to One Touch Diabetes these symptoms include:
- frequent urination
- unusual weight loss or gain
- intense hunger and thirst
- tingling in your hands and feet
- some sexual dysfunction in males
- long time to heal cuts and bruises
Type 2 diabetes
This type of diabetes is due to the inability of the body to produce the needed insulin for it to function properly. It can also be due to resistance of body cells to react to insulin produced by the body. However, it is easy for you to control type 2 diabetes. There are a few things you can do:
- Try to lose weight especially if you are overweight or obese. This is because being overweight increases your chances of having type 2 diabetes
- Exercising regularly
- Make sure your meals are healthy/balanced
- Make a point of monitoring your levels of blood glucose regularly
Tips for staying healthy with type 2 diabetes
- According to a recent article in diabetes, if you have received a type 2 diabetes diagnosis, it is necessary to make a lifestyle change. This means changing your diet. You should choose foods that have a low fat and sugar content. Make sure your meals contain fibrous food, vegetables as well as fruits. To maintain a healthy weight keep the portions small.
- You should eat regularly. This means that instead of having three large meals, as is the norm, you should eat small portions throughout the day. Eating small meals ensure you remain full. This reduces the urge to keep on eating thereby reducing your chances of getting type 2 diabetes. This will help you have blood sugar control and keep it on the right level.
- You are recommended to have regular exercise such as jogging or even cycling.
- You should check your blood glucose often so that you may be able to detect problems before they get worse.
- You should take your medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- It is advisable that you have as much information as possible on the disease as it will help you take better care of yourself. Diabetic shoes make a comfortable option to relieve some of the problems associated with circulation issues many diabetics face.
- For effective blood sugar control, it is important that you consult a doctor especially if you also suffer from depression.
- It is essential that you take good care of yourself and avoid bruises and cuts as they take a long time to heal or may not heal at all.
- You should educate your family members and friends on the disease so that they can understand and help you take care of yourself.
- It is important for you to have a way to alert people that you have the disease. Accordingly, you may buy something like a medical bracelet that will pass on the message in case you are in a crisis.
Sujain Thomas is a personal trainer who has been training individuals and groups for a past few years. She writes about fitness, training courses and leading a fit and healthy life.