Having the right deodorant is essential in day-to-day activities. Imagine an hour when you’re sweaty and your underarms have a slight odor even if you’ve just showered in the morning. You will not have the same productive mindset and you will spend all your time focusing on your underarms. There are also those who are prone to eczema or irritations, have dermatologic conditions or sensitive skin. Using the wrong product might bring them rashes, bumps or itching. There are dozens of reasons why you should pay close attention to choosing the best deodorants for sensitive skin.
There are millions of microscopic sweat glands which are continuously active and produce perspiration. You can control them with a deodorant or antiperspirant to keep you dry without adverse effects.
What Defines the Best Deodorant for Sensitive Skin
- The best deodorant for sensitive skin should last for a season. You produce different amounts of perspiration in winter than you do during summer. Light scented deodorants fit summer occasions, while complex aromas are more appropriate during winter. For additional information regarding the best deodorants for sensitive skin with scents read this article.
- Benefits of the deodorant should fit your lifestyle and preferences. You can only wear a product which has texture and scents and effects that you want to.
- Above all, the best deodorant keeps you dry and odorless. Harmful chemical-free products protect everyone’s skin, not just for those with sensitive skin.
- You can wear it on any occasion, without the risk of staining your clothes.
How to Choose Your Best Deodorant for Sensitive Skin
The underarm skin is delicate and prone to allergic reactions due to the acidic sweat it produces. They are your body’s hotspot for irritations, as it’s a warm environment which may produce odor-causing bacteria. The more bacteria we produce, the more intense our body odor is, according to the NHS. Therefore, you should consider different criteria when choosing your deodorant.
Harmful Chemical Compounds
There are chemicals that are found in deodorants which are helpful as active ingredients which fight sweat. Yet, some of them might harm your skin. Here’s an outline of the main chemicals you may find in most mainstream deodorants.
- Aluminum is the widest active antiperspirant ingredient in use. It plugs sweat canals and stops underarms moisture. Aluminum is irritating sometimes, but there are plenty of products available which are free of this substance.
- Fragrances usually cause rashes and sensitivity due to their intense and long-lasting scent. The most irritative products are those which combine deodorant and antiperspirant features. Deodorants regularly contain synthetic perfumes. However, you can find products with scents that are derived from essential oils.
- Alcohol compounds are easy to recognize as they give you a cool feel. It dries out your skin for many hours but can cause irritation. Alcohol is common in mainstream products, but you can find some of the best deodorants for sensitive skin without this ingredient.
Our suggestion: Almay Sensitive Skin Clear Gel contains 25% aluminum sesquichlorohydrate which is suitable to sensitive skin, according to manufacturers. It also has a quick-drying formula which protects your skin from wetness during the entire day.
The best deodorant for sensitive skin contain natural ingredients which replace some harmful chemicals. Many consider that natural substances are not effective, especially if you are an active person who enjoys an intense workout. However, there are customers who claim that products with natural ingredients are as effective as the ones which use chemicals.
- Baking soda works as an antiperspirant agent which may cause irritation to some with sensitive skin conditions. It is also an alternative to aluminum used in both producer and DIY deodorants.
- Essential oils are responsible for natural fragrances within the deodorant. Sometimes, they are accompanied by synthetic agents which prolong the effects of the scent.
- Herbs may be among the deodorants’ ingredients list due to their calming and healing effect. They are optional to products in terms of presence and choice. Aloe vera regulates the acidic balance of your skin. Meanwhile, shea butter has anti-inflammatory properties for sensitive underarms skin.
Our suggestion: Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant Deodorant for Sensitive Skin is an accessible alternative to regular deodorants. You can find it in most stores. It’s designed for sensitive skin, so it will not cause irritation.
Other Aspects to Consider
The best deodorant for sensitive skin is our favorite. You will need to determine your expectations regarding a deodorant to see which one could be your next favorite. Here are some aspects to consider.
- Texture is essential to your comfort. Cream deodorants are most suitable to those with sensitive skin as they also contain hydrating substances. Stick deodorants are popular due to their high efficiency. On the other hand, sprays are easier to use and carry when traveling. There are also gels which are invisible and chilly. Usually, they have a more intense formula.
- Type of product: Deodorants mask body odor with scent and kills bacteria without stopping sweat. Antiperspirant blocks sweat gland ducts. Fragrance-free deodorants may sometimes have a natural scent due to other ingredients. Antiperspirant deodorants usually have more irritative ingredients which might harm sensitive skin.
- Budget: You can find deodorants which have an accessible price. Usually, these products last for at least a month. This is your choice to consider in terms of deodorant budget. However, before purchasing make sure you’ve also searched through online stores. Some of them offer discounts to certain products.
Our suggestion: Primal Pit Paste All-Natural Lavender Deodorant only contains natural ingredients and a calming lavender scent which may last for up to one entire day.
The best deodorant for sensitive skin is free of the ingredients that may harm your underarms. It also protects you from wetness and odor providing with a refreshing scent. You may prefer unscented products.
Make sure you research before purchasing. Choosing the right product leaves you carefree for the next months.