Okay, guys, who is as bothered as I am about staying fit while travelling? Sure, it can be a hassle as you get tempted to try every local dish and gobble down anything locals say is good for you. Going on a foodie binge might seem like a good idea at the time, but with time you’ll realize it did you more harm than good.
There are actionable ways to keep fit while travelling and it involves nothing technical like registering for a gym membership. All you need to do is follow these tips and you should be able to maintain your healthy body all through your vacation.
Healthy tips for staying fit while travelling:
- Begin each day with a gigantic, healthy breakfast: This tip is essential for travellers who engage in hectic sports and activities while away from home. Starting your day with a big healthy breakfast can sustain all through the day, meaning you get to have a smaller lunch. To ensure your breakfast provides you with the energy you need for the day eat meals with carbohydrates, protein, fibre, and sugar.
- Stay Hydrated: You can’t dispute the many health benefits of water. If you are travelling, water will keep you hydrated enough to carry on with your activities and not feel light-headed. So, be sure to stock up on water for your daily activities to keep you refreshed.
- Take walks & flex when you do: Try to avoid taking taxis for short distances, instead make do with your legs and be sure to flex your muscles at intervals. Just make sure the distance isn’t so much. Google maps can be very helpful in checking distances before heading out, so be sure to have it installed on your Smartphone or tablet. Taking walks can be your personal workout as your muscles tighten and ‘get in shape from the workout’.
- Rent a bicycle: Another option is to rent a bicycle instead of walking or renting cabs. This mode of transportation is usually cheap, convenient and of course a form of exercise. Peddling bikes are a great form of workout for your legs.
- At least 8 hours of sleep daily is highly recommended: We all need our beauty sleep and while sometimes we don’t have the time to sleep it’s advisable to create time to do so. Taking a long, good night sleep can help your fitness cravings. Besides the renewed energy to take on any physical activity the next day, it will also help you burn calories during your shuteye.
- Buy Groceries: Who buys groceries while travelling? You would if you want to stay healthy. Aside from the fact that you get to stash some cash, you get to avoid always eating heavy meals at local steakhouses and restaurants.
- Ask for a little information about your food: It’s advisable to inquire about whatever you plan to put in your stomach. Most people are of the opinion that as long as you are on vacation, you will most likely gain weight due to the food, but this isn’t always the case. As long as you ask around about the types of food, you can avoid eating unhealthy, fat laced foods.
If you are planning to take a vacation and thinking about how best to stay fit while travelling, you can make do with these tips. Just make sure you make the most of your time abroad and have fun while you’re at it.
This post is in collaboration with Canterra Suites Hotel. If you’re searching for Edmonton hotels, be sure to check their website for daily rates and discounted extended stays.