While there are plenty of stereotypes about the stressful nature of planning a wedding, practicing a high standard of self-care is important whether your wedding guest list is driving you crazy or not. Rather than waiting until you’re at the end of your rope, make it a habit to take great care of yourself throughout your engagement – cultivating a solid routine of self-care will pay off long after the big day!
Here are 10 ways to practice self care – whether you’re in the middle of wedding planning or not:
- Get moving! Go for a run, bike, or walk for the added bonus of taking in some fresh air, or catch a yoga or group fitness class. Get your blood pumping and endorphins flowing to ease your stress and bring peace of mind.
- Catch your Zzzz’s. Getting enough sleep is crucial for staying energized and positive. Don’t be afraid to tuck in earlier than usual when you’re starting to feel less than stellar!
- Pamper yourself. Treat yourself to a new haircut, a massage, a straight shave, or a pedicure – when you look sharp, you feel sharp! And taking the hour out to sit back, relax, and be primped and pampered will leave you feeling like a million bucks.
- Practice gratitude. Get in a routine of naming things that you are thankful for each and every day – including all of the reasons that you’re grateful for your fiance!
- Plan a heart-to-heart with a friend, and politely tell them that you’d like to take a break from talking about the wedding. It’s a great way to keep things in perspective – it’s way too easy to forget that there’s more to life than wedding planning!
- Feed your mind. Ever feel like the only thing you’ve read in the past few months is a wedding magazine or blog? Put down the magazines and read something indulgent or stimulating and inspiring.
- Take a hike! Treat yourself (with or without your future spouse) to a mini-vacation. Go explore Calgary, head to the mountains for an outdoor adventure, or take a few days out at the lake. Ignoring your overflowing inbox for two days isn’t the end of the world – in fact, you’ll be much better equipped to tackle those emails when you’re feeling rejuvenated!
- Hit the snooze button. You might have to wait until Saturday to do it, but let yourself sleep as much as your body needs to. Waking up to the sun on your face is a much nicer start to the day than a blaring alarm clock!
- Say a prayer. Self-care involves taking care of the mind, the body, and the spirit. Take some time to focus on your spirituality by attending a religious service, meditating, or saying a simple prayer.
- Press play. Listen to some nostalgic feel-good music, and allow yourself to let loose. Sing or dance along, or rock out on the air guitar – there’s nothing quite like a break from taking yourself so seriously every now and then!
Remember, you are more than just a bride or groom getting ready for one day of your life – you’re a whole person, deserving of a well-balance life. Take the time to invest in yourself and create a healthier, more balanced lifestyle that’s going to help you now and after you’ve tied the knot!
Stacey Knopp, is a wedding DJ (PopJukebox is my company name) and the Creator/Editor of yegwed.com.