Everyone wants a beautiful smile — but not everyone knows how to attain one! When it comes to your teeth, there are many things you can do to both prevent discolouration make your smile brighter. In this article, let’s will dive into a few natural techniques to keep your smile looking beautiful. Here’s three we recommend most:
1) Brush And Floss As Recommended
If you want a white smile, brushing and flossing regularly is an absolute must. Using a baking soda and peroxide toothpaste will help the process along, but even without, the act of brushing twice a day will keep your teeth looking healthy and bright.
As always, make sure to brush gently and use a toothbrush with a soft head so that you don’t damage the enamel — doing so would make it easier to stain your teeth in the first place. Consider investing in an electric toothbrush as well. One study showed that the use of an electric toothbrush reduced plaque by 21% over three months.
Removing plaque is essential to keeping teeth healthy and preventing cavities, which can cause severe discolouration. This is a preventative measure that will pay off heavily in the long run.
Though you can’t do it from home, part of regular oral hygiene and therefore part of keeping your smile looking amazing is going to the dentist every six months! Look for a reliable and trustworthy provider; dentists in Calgary like Valley Ridge Dental Center can make sure your teeth always look their best.
2) The Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide Method
To whiten your teeth in a pinch, mix one part hydrogen peroxide to two parts baking soda, and simply brush your teeth with it. This is a very affordable and simple way to whiten your teeth, and it works quite well!
You can also use a washcloth and hydrogen peroxide to gently wipe your teeth — the peroxide will lighten stains and the cloth rubs them away. The peroxide you buy at the store is diluted to around 3%, which is safer to use than a higher concentration, but that also means you will need to use this technique several times before seeing results.
You can also purchase trusted toothpastes that contain baking soda and peroxide for convenience. A study in the Journal of Clinical Dentistry showed that one such toothpaste used twice a day whitened teeth by 62% over 6 weeks!
3) Prevent Stains Before They Happen
It’s common knowledge that beverages such as coffee, tea, soda, and red wine have the ability to stain your teeth. Limiting your consumption will keep your teeth white as possible, but to mitigate the effects when you do indulge, you can do the following:
- When possible, use a straw when drinking a staining beverage. This will limit direct contact with your teeth, and therefore limit staining.
- Brush your teeth as soon as possible after drinking one of these beverages. This limits the time that it is in contact with your teeth and this will prevent severe staining.
- One more thing you can avoid to prevent staining — don’t smoke or chew tobacco! Nicotine stains extremely easily, penetrating the teeth and leaving them a yellow or brown colour. Avoid nicotine completely to keep your teeth looking as white as possible.
Keep these ideas in mind and you will make a huge difference towards your pearly whites, especially if you give these tips enough time to work their magic. In as little as a few weeks, you will see spectacular results that will have you smiling wider than ever!