Who says you can’t enjoy dessert and still follow your healthy eating plan. When you combine a sweet treat with high quality, local ingredients, it’s easy to do. And as we always say here at YEG Fitness, everything in moderation.
Here’s a great healthy dessert recipe from our friends at Steve and Dan’s Fresh BC Fruit. We recently made this for a patio party and it was a HUGE hit. Check out their online farmers’ market featuring many of the ingredients listed in the recipe below.
- 1 Cup roasted and salted almonds
- 1/2 Cup rolled oats
- 8 dates, pitted
- 1 Tsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Cups soaked cashews
- 2 Cups raspberries
- ½ Cup plant-based yogurt
- 15 drops stevia extract OR other sweetener
- 7 Tbsp cocoa butter, melted
- 1 Tsp Almond extract
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- ½ Cup fresh raspberries
- ½ Cup white chocolate, melted
- 1 Tbsp raspberry powder
- 2 Tbsp chopped almonds
- In a food processor, add the almonds and oats. Process until mixture turn into flour. Add the remaining healthy ingredients and process again, until dough forms. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a lined springform pan. Set aside.
- With the other half of the mixture form balls with your hands. Leave in the freezer while you prepare the cream.
- In a food processor, add soaked and drained cashews, 1 cup raspberries, yogurt, sweetener, almond and vanilla extract. Process until smooth. Add the cocoa butter spoon by spoon and process until completely combined and smooth.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the crust. Sprinkle with 1 cup raspberries. Pour the other half of the mixture and make a wave effect with a spoon. Place the cake in the freezer for 4 to 6 hours.
- Remove the balls from the freezer and dip in melted white chocolate. Sprinkle each ball with raspberry powder. Return to the freezer until the cake is ready.
- When the filling has set, take the cake from the freezer and remove the sides of the cake tin carefully. Sprinkle with raspberry powder and chopped almonds. Top with white chocolate balls and healthy fresh raspberries. Let thaw for 15-20 minutes before serving.