Oral problems won’t be fixed just by simply brushing and flossing. Usually, you’ll let your traditional dentist know about your dental problems and they would, in turn, prescribe treatments, but nowadays, getting optimal oral health also includes both your emotional and overall physical health.
Holistic dentistry is very popular today, and it involves general physical body treatment by addressing your oral health first. With this, visiting a doctor after the treatment isn’t necessary because holistic dentists will make sure to give you the best treatment they can offer.
What is holistic dental care?
Holistic dental care, which is also called biological dentistry, emphasizes that oral health can be achieved when you clean the body of any trace of chemicals that can harm you rather than offer good benefits. Its principle is about improving the patient’s quality of life and protection by having proper dental care.
Holistic dental care eliminates any toxic elements that are being applied during dental treatments, which means there won’t be any trace of hazardous products or chemicals, such as mercury. A person’s entire state of emotional and physical health are considered in this type of dental approach as well. Holistic dentists use natural therapies to treat diseases of the oral cavity, to come up with the proper diagnosis, and to prevent oral diseases.
The difference of holistic dentistry to a traditional one
The difference between holistic and traditional dentistry is their approach when treating their patients. In traditional dentistry, they treat symptoms of the patient’s teeth and gum problems when it becomes worse, and try to prevent them from occurring again. On the other hand, holistic dentistry treats the underlying problems of the oral cavity, and tries to eliminate it by preventing its effect on your overall health.
Holistic dentistry practices the following, which separates it from traditional procedures:
- Fluoride and fluoridating water are not used.
- Biocompatibility of materials are being checked since they believe that what goes inside a patient’s mouth can affect the entire body.
- Amalgam fillings are not used.
- They offer root canal alternatives or use ozone therapy to sterilize the bacteria’s root canal.
Benefits of holistic dental care
As stated above, holistic dental care focuses on promoting wellness and health for patients. Here are some of the benefits of holistic dentistry:
- While traditional dentists concentrate on the oral cavity, holistic dentists operate under the belief that dental health goes hand in hand with physical and emotional health. A holistic dentist will perform natural and healthy dental care and treatments for their patients.
- Mercury in amalgam fillings can escape from the actual fillings and might get into your body, which can lead to certain diseases. Holistic dentists remove these to make sure that it’s mercury safe, and use bonded fillings instead.
- They refrain from using fluoride treatments and give patients an option to try toxin-free treatments, since fluoride might cause arthritis, dementia, and others.
- They don’t use X-rays because it can have harmful effects due to radiation. If an X-ray is really needed, they’ll still use it but only with 50% lower radiation levels.
- Holistic dentists opt out of painkillers and provide natural treatments and remedies instead.
- If you want to correct or align your crooked teeth, holistic dentists can help you. They can assess and examine teeth misalignments, and provide you with clear aligners on invisible braces. These are custom-made, without wires and metal brackets.
- They also offer teeth-whitening services for patients with stained or discolored teeth due to smoking, or eating and drinking habits. They’ll break down the compounds that cause the stain on the tooth’s enamel, and use safe bleaches such as hydrogen peroxide.
- It has specific treatment plans to suit every individual’s needs.
- Helps build a stronger immune system to fight off health problems and to improve overall quality of life.
- It’s more focused on minimally-invasive and modern treatments procedures with the means of technological advancements, such as laser treatments for gum diseases, modern dental implants, and same-day crown technology.
- Patients can reduce the cost of treatment because when a holistic approach has been applied, patients can avoid the development of cavities, tooth loss, periodontal disease, and other unwanted oral problems. As a result, they don’t have to visit their dentist over and over again for check-up and maintenance.
Holistic dentistry undeniably offers a lot of benefits and gives a modern approach to help patients. However, patients should still consult with their trusted dental professional and ask if holistic dental care is right for them. Proper knowledge and guidance should be considered first because it’s not just about your oral health, it’s also about your body’s wellness as a whole.