People take for granted the brand of shampoo, conditioner, and other hair products they apply on their scalp and roots. They do not even check the ingredients, putting too much trust in government regulators to certify the products as safe. But just because the shampoo is marked as safe does not mean it is ideal for your hair. I recommend that you also check out some great sites that provide the best hair advice such as *Hair & Makeup Girl*
The fact is synthetic products are causing irreparable damage to your hair over time. When it comes to your hair and even your skin, you should only insist on natural ingredients. For instance, the product line from Protective Styles uses only organic substances to reduce the health risks down to zero.
According to the American Hair Loss Association, 4 in 10 women suffer from hair loss. Although men are anxious about having male pattern baldness, thinning locks can be particularly devastating for women. Unfair or not, society has a standard of beauty, which includes a long, thick mane. In fact, the community is more accepting of balding men as it is to women.
It is the reason why you should always take care of your hair, and that means checking the label first of shampoos, conditioners, and other products.
Here are some of the chemicals that are found in some brands that can damage your precious locks and also pose health risks:
- Parabens. Parabens are preservatives that are present in some hair products. While it does not cause any damage to your hair, the chemical is linked to reproductive problems and breast cancer. It can also disrupt the function of your hormone by binding on the estrogen receptors.
- SLS and SLES. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate can be found in most synthetic shampoo products. They are useful chemicals in cleaning the hair. However, they take away the natural oils in your hair. As a result, your mane will become brittle over time. They will also result in frizzy hair. People with sensitive skin should steer clear from these compounds.
- Formaldehyde. At the risk of sounding gory, formaldehyde is used to preserve corpses. However, did you know that some shampoos still contain this ingredient? The problem is that your skin will absorb the chemical through your scalp, and it has been linked to cancer.
- Triclosan. The chemical is the perfect example of how confusing the regulations are. For instance, it used to be one of the active ingredients of antibacterial soaps. The government disallowed the use of the chemical in 2016. However, what is interesting is that some shampoos, and even toothpaste, still contain the ingredient. As it turned out, the substance was not banned for use in hair products. The chemical is linked to some delayed fetal development and neurodevelopmental issues.
- DEA and TEA. Diethanolamine and Triethanolamine are what give your shampoo that foam when you apply it on your hair. However, a 1998 research study concluded that DEA and TEA caused cancer in some of the lab rats. The Food and Drug Administration, however, insisted that there is no known link between these chemicals and cancer in humans. But will you take the risk?
Those are just some of the examples of harmful ingredients contained in your everyday shampoo. If you are going to clean your hair, make sure you purchase only natural products from Protective Styles. You do not need to court danger by using synthetic brands for your locks.