The topic of mental health continues to attract interest in the world. Today, people speak openly about depression, anxiety, and other instances of mental health. Discussions on mental health continue to spark global responses from experts and victims. The awareness of mental health issues in society today is leading to the adoption of measures that help reduce the impact these conditions have on people. As interest in mental health grows, many continue to take an interest in the career as well. So, in this article, we gather and dispense the thoughts to help you find a job related to physical and mental health.
Physical and Mental Health
A simple description of physical health is the condition of one’s body. It involves how the body is as well as issues like the prevalence of diseases. It is a broad topic and spans topics like diet, lifestyle, certain habits like smoking and alcoholism, and physical activity. What you choose to eat today and how you live your life contributes to your overall physical well-being. When you see people working out, doing some cardio, running, jogging, or visiting the gym, they are trying to look after their physical health.
However, we cannot talk about health without mentioning mental health and how it fits in the conversation of health. Mental health involves a person’s psychological fitness. It includes topics like anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, eating disorders, bipolar disorder, among others. In the past, people did not pay attention to mental health issues and concerns. However, today, with the help of medical practitioners, the world knows and comprehends the importance of mental health. But, as the next section indicates, physical and mental health all contribute to general wellness.
How They Depend on Each Other
People often look at physical and mental health as different entities. However, these two go hand in hand and an issue with one often leads to an issue with the other. For example, poor physical health affects mental health. When someone breaks their leg and cannot perform tasks the same way, it affects their mindset. While some people view such an injury as a break from their busy schedules, the majority consider everything they are missing. Others consider how much of a burden they are to those around them and these issues register in the mind. People focusing on what they are missing as well as them being a burden to their families often develop mental health issues. Stories of athletes with mental health issues after having injuries are all over the internet.
Mental health can also affect your physical well-being. Studies continue to reveal a direct connection between mental and physical health. For example, individuals suffering from depression have a higher chance of getting coronary heart disease. Stomach Ulcers are a physical condition that stems from mental health issues. Often, individuals suffering from mental health issues never get the right physical healthcare, and their physical health thus deteriorates. Gregory Aldridge a senior content strategist in customessayorder.com advises the surrounding of mentally unhealthy individuals with people who love them and are ready to help them. Neglecting physical or mental health is a recipe for disaster.
Clarify the Requirements for a Job
Every field offers people opportunities to build lasting careers. The physical and mental health field is not any different. There are many mental health career opportunities in the world. But, you need to have the right qualifications. So, in this section, we offer you a number of requirements if you wish to enter the field of physical and mental health.
- Education – getting the right education is the first requirement you need to fulfill. Some institutions will expect a bachelor’s degree in the fields of psychology, counseling, psychiatry, social work, etc. Other institutions will have higher demands and request a master’s degree in either of the fields above. Education is the first step to getting a job in the field you want. So, keep working hard.
- Great interpersonal skills – working in the physical and mental health field requires that you know how to interact with people. So, if you are looking for a job where you help people, you are in the right place. But, you need to bridge the gap between you and the patients, and this means you need excellent interpersonal skills. Aside from helping patients, having great interpersonal skills will help you become an excellent team player.
Describe All Your Requirements in a Resume
Like any other job, there comes a time when you have to draft a resume. After working on the requirements in the section above, it is now time to write your resume and submit it at an institution of your choice. In the resume, what you can do should be clear as well as your academic achievements. You must capture your experience in your resume as well. Remember there are many people who are after the position you want. So, to make your application stand out, write a great resume. If you are having problems writing a resume, you need not worry because you can hire a resume writer. These people are professionals who will capture all of your information and gift you the best chance to get the job you are after.
Top 5 Jobs Related to Physical and Mental Health
Careers in physical and mental health are many. A quick search on the internet should confirm this. In this section, we offer you five examples of jobs in the physical and mental health field.
- Career counselor – if you want to help people make career decisions, then this is the field for you.
- Clinical psychologist – there are a lot of opportunities within this field. Professionals in this field help patients dealing with psychological disorders.
- Criminal psychologists – criminal psychologists work together with law enforcement personnel. Their job is to assess criminals and in other instances help law enforcement officials catch offenders.
- Health psychologist – the goal here is to help people practice healthy living and avoid instances of sickness.
- Industrial-Organizational psychologist – here, the goal is to improve employees’ productivity. To enhance productivity, one has to understand the behavior of employees. You cannot enhance productivity if you do not understand how people work.
In conclusion, knowing what you want in life is the first step towards true happiness. If your goal in life is to help people, then a career in the physical and mental health field will suit. Learning or gaining knowledge in this field can also be beneficial to you. You can, for example, help colleagues who are dealing with problems in the workplace. Remember that having a hard time in life could be an indication of a much bigger personal problem. So, if you develop an interest in the field of physical and mental health, the ideas above should help you do something worthwhile and change the world in your own way.