In addition to his role at Park Integrative Health, Brandon Jacobs is also a Yoga Instructor with over 5500 hours of training and instruction, is the Co-host of The Integrative Path Podcast with his partner Heather, and a father to Madelyn. He’s also a former school teacher, certified personal trainer, and Registered Massage Therapist.
1. It’s Sunday morning, what are you most likely to be doing today?
Making coffee and breakfast, hanging out with my wife, Heather and daughter Madelyn.
2. If you didn’t do what you do for a living, what would you love to do?
I really am doing what I want to be doing—working in an organization that is changing the way health care is experienced in Canada.
I have also been drawn to motivational speaking but I think my dream gig is a stay-at-home Dad! I am also hoping that the book I’ve written on Grief will get published, so perhaps also a writer…?
3. What music is on repeat on your playlist when at the gym or keeping active?
I have really eclectic taste in music, but most people would be surprised that my go-to music is Hip Hop and Rap with a little EDM.
4. If we were to peek in your gym bag right now, what would we find?
Running shoes and random lululemon gear (some new, but most is a decade old!), and a notebook to write ideas for our Yin Yoga Training or The Integrative Path podcast.
5. What’s your favourite thing about Edmonton?
I am drawn to two main things: nature and cafes. Happily, Edmonton has quite a lot of both!
6. Where is your dream vacation destination?
We lived in Hawaii when I was much younger and I have always wanted to go back.
7. What do you do to take care of your mental health?
A bigger question is likely what don’t I do..
I read, write and meditate. I get physical self-care as often as I can—acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic care. I have been seeing a therapist for many years for a variety of things, but as of late, and since my Dad’s passing, I gravitate the most to spiritual work. We had been seeing a Shamanic healer for over 19 months; however, she very recently and very suddenly passed away at the end of February. It is ironic that she is the one who helped me navigate my Dad’s death.
8. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Moving to an acreage. Getting to Turkey and Hawaii to spread the rest of my Dad’s ashes. To continue to be the most present partner and father I can be.
9. Who are you currently following on social media who inspires you?
10. What is your favourite way to stay fit?
I have always hated cycling, but surprisingly, having a Peloton at home that got me through the winter! Otherwise I gravitate towards running (trail running if possible), yoga, swimming, and weight lifting.