One of the best parts of spring arriving is more fresh fruit. Our friends at Steve & Dan’s Fresh BC Fruit have wonderfully sweet and savory kiwis available at farmers markets throughout the city and online – and we can’t get enough!
Here are a couple fun facts about kiwis:
- They are considered a berry!
- When ripe, they are one of the juiciest fruits around.
- Kiwis have more vitamin C than an orange.
- Steve & Dan’s kiwis grow on a bush on the coast of Vancouver.
Kiwis are delicious eaten alone but they are also great to incorporate into some healthy treats. Here are a few of our favourites:
- Two-Ingredient Kiwi Sorbet
- Kiwi Super Green Smoothie
- Kiwi Jam
- Kiwi Avocado Salsa Verde
- Kiwi and Granola Parfait
- Kiwi, Banana and Apple Salad
- Kiwi Coconut Chia Popsicles
- Kiwi, Coconut and Lime Muffins
- Kiwi Lime Slice
Kiwis, when refrigerated, can last up to 2 weeks. If you need to ripen your kiwis, leave them on the counter for 2-4 days. When ripe, they will have a nice soft feel.
Steve & Dan’s products are available at two markets year-round – Bountiful Farmers’ Market and Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market. If you aren’t comfortable visiting a market in person, you can shop their online market instead.
Find Us On Social Media