Massage therapy refers to a mainstream treatment approach that is growing in popularity, and many insurance companies are now providing coverage for massage therapy sessions. The hands-on techniques relieve muscle tension, increase blood circulation, reduce stress, improve sleep, promote relaxation, and ease anxiety. It’s worth a try treating yourself with regular massage therapy for a healthier and happier life.
Here are the essential benefits of massage therapy:
Promotes Body and Mind Relaxation
When your body is under stress, it produces the stress hormone or cortisol. Massage therapy, like the therapeutic massage of Bodyworks by Bull, can reduce your stress levels. It reduces the production of cortisol, so your body enters a recovery mode, which triggers improved mood, reduced stress levels, and relaxation. While cortisol provides heightened memory functions, a burst of energy, lower pain sensitivity, and increased immunity, it also causes negative effects.
Here are the negative effects of cortisol:
- Suppressed thyroid function
- Lowered immunity
- Impaired cognitive performance
- Blood sugar imbalance
- Increased abdominal fat
- Slowed wound healing
- Decreased bone density
Helps Regulate Blood Pressure
Regular massage therapy helps regulate blood pressure levels, reducing both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Lower blood pressure levels mean reduced risks of cardiovascular diseases, heart attacks, and stroke.
Here are some ways massage therapy can regulate your blood pressure:
- Massage therapy, like a Swedish massage, helps calm the sympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for increasing blood pressure due to stress.
- A combination of massage and aromatherapy help lower blood pressure. Aromatherapy massage sessions include using lavender, jasmine, rose geranium, and rose essential oils.
- Deep-tissue massage therapy and listening to soothing music also help decrease heart rate and blood pressure.
- A balanced diet, regular exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, a holistic wellness program, and smoking cessation are all essential for healthy blood pressure.
- Massage and other stress management solutions, like meditation and yoga, can also help lower blood pressure.
Improves Blood Circulation and Tissue Oxygenation
Massage therapy plays a vital role in blood circulation and tissue oxygenation. Proper circulation brings abundant blood supply on tense, stiff, and damaged muscles to promote healing. It means that your cells and tissues, most especially your vital organs, receive the right amount of nutrients, oxygen, water, and other essential elements needed to function well.
Here are the benefits of proper blood circulation:
- Delivery of immune cells to injured tissues and to heal damaged vital organs, as well as adequate oxygenation of all body parts, like the heart and brain, for normal blood pressure and better concentration.
- Avoid peripheral arterial diseases associated with a sports injury, genetics, poor diet, and other related factors.
Many people experience neck, lower back, and muscle pain due to poor posture. Chronic back pain causes missed work days and disability because of incorrect posture while sitting or standing. Also, being overweight and repetitive movements contribute to back strain, tense muscles, pain, spasms, and pain in the hips, neck, glutes, and legs.
Here are the benefits of getting a massage when it comes to improving your posture:
- Massage therapy helps get your body back into its proper alignment.
- Massage therapy allows your body to relax, loosening your tense muscles and relieves the soreness caused by bad posture.
- Massage allows your body to consistently position itself in its pain-free and organic posture.
- Your joints have greater flexibility, freedom, pressure points, and range of motion through massage.
- Massage also helps correct the movements and positions developed over time due to prolonged or chronic pain.
Strengthens the Immune System
People who experience extreme stress levels are more vulnerable to illness and injury. Poor nutrition and sleep disturbances can impact the body’s immune system. Regular massage sessions help reduce stress and boost the cytotoxic capacity (natural killer cells) of the immune system to get rid of pathogens or harmful bacteria and viruses.
Here are the benefits of a strong immune system:
- Avoid inflammatory conditions or infection due to a compromised immune system
- More energy to perform physical work or strenuous activities
- More productive at work
- More quality time to spend with family and friends because of a healthier body
Massage therapy releases endorphins or pain-killing hormones, boosting the serotonin and dopamine levels in the body, promoting healing and the reduction of pain. Endorphins calm the nerves and also promote a positive mindset and emotions.
Massage therapy is a non-invasive treatment that provides plenty of health benefits to the body and mind. It’s a crucial part of a regular wellness program to maintain correct posture, joint flexibility, toned muscles, and a relaxed body after a long day of work.