While this holiday season may look different than in previous years, it is as important as ever to stay connected in the ways you feel comfortable. Human connection is essential to maintaining a happy and healthy life. Our friends at Steve & Dan’s Fresh BC Fruit know the importance of fueling your body and mind through fresh foods and community support.
We have prepared a list of ways to support local and lift your spirits this season:
- Visit a farmers market. Not only will you be able to help support local vendors in a safe way, but seeing smiling faces can do wonders to boost your morale. Steve & Dan’s products will be available at two markets year-round – Bountiful Farmers’ Market and Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market.
- Shop online. If you aren’t comfortable visiting a market in person, you can shop their online market instead. They are offering a 15% discount on one online order placed before 8 p.m. on December 23. Use code “HAPPYANDHEALTHY” at checkout. This is a great way to still support local vendors from the comfort of your own home!
- Bake a cake and eat it too. Grab some fresh or frozen fruit from Steve & Dan’s and hop on a video call with a friend or family member while you bake. You could even challenge yourself to a baking competition or do a socially-distanced goodie drop off to your loved ones. Check out their favourite recipes using apples.
- Get outside! We’ve been having beautiful weather this winter and getting outside is a perfect way to feel refreshed and stay active over the holidays. Bundle up and go for a walk, grab your skates, or relive your childhood and go tobogganing. Be sure to pack a warm drink – Steve & Dan’s are selling a delicious DIY apple cider kit you have to try!
- Be creative. Being stuck at home is the perfect time to flex your creative juices. Try making homemade Christmas cards or ornaments. You could even hold a virtual paint night with a couple friends and see whose painting comes out the best!
- Do what you love. While you may not be able to surround yourself with those close to you this season, it is the perfect opportunity to make time for yourself. Pull out that book you’ve been meaning to read or tackle that project you’ve continually pushed aside because you just didn’t have time for it. Rejuvenation may look different this year but it is still so important.
- Just rest! If nothing else, this holiday break is an opportunity to catch up on sleep. This year has been incredibly stressful and it is perfectly okay to take the time you need to decompress.
- Help those in need. This time of year can be tough for many, especially under the current conditions. Be sure to check-in on your loved ones this season. Even distanced support can go a long way!