You don’t have to make big changes to reduce your heart attack risk. Here are 7 healthy habits that could save your life.
1. Live smoke free. If you smoke, quit
2. Monitor your blood pressure. Keep your numbers around 120/80 mm Hg
3. Maintain a healthy weight. Target a body mass index (BMI) of less than 25.
4. Watch your cholesterol. Strive for a total cholesterol of less than 200mg/dL
5. Control your blood sugar. Aim for a fasting blood glucose level of less than 100 mg/dL
6. Get active. Log 150 minutes of moderately intensive activity, like brisk walking, per week (or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity)
7. Eat a heart-healthy diet Make vegetables and fruits, whole grains and fish mealtime staples. Limit sodium, saturated fat and added sugar.
Your heart needs to keep you going for the rest of your life. You need to maintain it to keep it functioning its best and keeping you fit and healthy.